Monday 20 June 2011

Some like it hot!

Radishes
And that is exactly what these radishes are - HOT! As a child I remember sowing radishes in between the rows of cabbages and other crops that were slow growing and would eat them as soon as they had any hint of red on them.  Never gave the idea of using the leaves in salads any thought at all.

These little beauties are about 125mm long, that's 5 inches in real terms and all different shapes and sizes.  I'd like to see you package these in a neat little box Mr Tesco!

We've had a bit of help around the garden the past few days, in the shape of young Jack, the 17 year old son of a friend. He's been digging up Leylandii stumps, strimming and generally clearing the place for us and a great help its been too.  He's learnt invaluable lessons as well, such as turn the switch on the strimmer to 'ON' before trying to start it and don't let the strimmer get too close to the raspberry canes!

Nanny Southwellski bought me a new camera as an early birthday present, you may recall my old one got buried and never worked again.

Well, it's been out in the garden with me all day today and very busy its been too.

I was giving Coco a swing when I saw what I thought was a leaf in the grass.  On closer inspection I saw it was in fact a moth about 35mm long with a bark like pattern on it's wings.

It didn't seem to object to having its picture taken so we took a few and left it in peace.

It wasn't there a short time ago, hopefully it hasn't been on the lunch menu for some errant blackbird.

Well short and sweet is this blog today but who knows what's going to happen in Grandpa Southwellski's garden tomorrow.

No comments: