Monday 2 May 2011

A beautiful day

No not just the weather, although it was a lovely day, it was a bit breezy this morning but it warmed up as the day progressed.



Today was beautiful because of the Royal Wedding. We had a day off from doing jobs of any description and had friends over to watch the proceeding on TV.

Its surprising how sharing a day such as this can make it all the more meaningful and we are blessed with some wonderfultrue friends.
It saddened me that despite the occasion there were still a few people determined to spoil it for Prince William and Kate Middleton, get a life please because you failed miserably to spoil our, and their enjoyment and wonderment of a very special day.

Coco was in a flag waving frenzy, egged on by Aunty Angela and Sarah who provided flags.  Ray, Nic and Ellie also came for the day and I think along with Nanny Southwellski, Uncle Robin, who arrived later, and myself we confirmed that this little piece of England remains loyal to the Queen and her family and we did Her Majesty proud.

Kate Middleton looked stunning and the smiles and looks that went between her and Prince William were undoubtedly genuine looks of love.  Made me cry!

We did have a rather unusual experience with the desserts Aunty Angela brought over with her, the red white and blue pavlova looked fantastic it was just that blue whipped cream had a certain unusual flavour.  We will leave it at that because they were a fantastic idea and certainly added to the day.

I did a tour of the forest garden this evening, I hadn't been down there for a day or two and my goodness how it has changed.  The rides I strimmed a week or so ago are now almost grown over and re-doing them will have to take a place high up on my jobs to do list.

The cherry tree is a mass of fruit already and I will be looking to see what we can do with the fruit, although Aunty Angela has made it very clear that this will not be an issue.

My Morning Glory plants, so savagely ravaged by the chooks a couple of days ago have had a new lease of life and I am confident they will make a full recovery.

I am planting out my runner beans tomorrow, its a bit of a risk with catching a late frost but they are taking over the potting shed and I need the space for pricking out my brassicas, listen to me being like a proper gardener.

Whilst this is my first garden of any significant size, I am not entirely new to growing stuff.  Great Great Grandpa Southwellski was a gardener for Mr Feetham and grew all the veggies for the family and his own needs along with flowers for Mrs Feetham.  The Feethams used to hold village garden parties in their garden and Great Great Grandpa always kept them looking pristine.

My father, Great Grandpa Southwellski, also had a passion for gardening, and like so many other areas of his life I did not take as much interest in what he did as I should have done, the same has to be said for Great Great Grandpa Southwellski. Oh the questions I would ask now!

No comments: