Friday 25 February 2011

Sky blue linen posts? oh and Forest Gardens.

That was what I thought when I opened the packages for the new linen posts, not new really, we've had them for about 5 months now.  Nanny Southwellski just couldn't settle on a final position for them.

Now when I say Sky Blue I mean SKY BLUE!! The same sort of blue you see in the sky over a Greek Island!

I had some concrete left over from the new path around the dog run and managed to get a decision from Nanny Southwellski and before you could say 'its a good drying day' the holes were dug, the post were in, uprighted and concreted!  Job done!

I only managed to get about half an hour on the garden today before it rained, bit of tidying up was all I achieved.  Coco had her friend Calypso over for a visit this afternoon so I had to do the work on my own.



I've been reading about Forest Gardens just lately in a book (Left) that Nanny Southwellski bought me, and the idea of having a productive woodland bit really appeals. When I say productive, I mean more than just fruit trees.

The basic idea, as I understand, it is to set up a stacking system where each layer of plants compliments and protects the layer below, so you have tall fruit trees over fruit bushes and dwarf varieties.  These in turn shelter herbs and veggies and finally root crops underneath all of them. By covering the soil with plants, it is protected and water loss and erosion are reduced.

Obviously there are certain plants which need plenty of light and these can be grown in clearings or as we are planning, in the veggie patch. We have decided that some of our plants such as the runner beans and strawberries will be split between the Forest Garden and the veggie patch.

We already have the woodland with well established fruit trees and a few soft fruit bushes dotted here and there which will be moved in due course to make it flow.

I particularly like the idea of nature taking a lead role in what happens and when for example as one plant finishes and dies back it feeds the next one coming through.  It being low maintenance also appeals, Nanny Southwellski will tell you I'm not brilliant at time management which is why all my posts are late in the evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not sky blue it's green! ;)